In statistics released by the Fire and Rescue Department, faulty electrical sources were quoted as the No.1 cause of fire in Malaysia.
We often plug appliances in and switch equipment on at home without thinking much about it but do we realize some of what we do could pose a fire hazard? Especially now that many of us are working and studying from home, it is crucial that we avoid these potentially dangerous electrical usages.
- Old & Faulty Wiring
Wiring and cables especially in houses more than 20 years old will degrade and become faulty. It is advisable that an upgrade or replacement be done. A periodic check every 10 years is also advised.
Most households are guilty of this where a multi-socket is used to power up multiple appliances at the same time. This could cause the power supply to trip or cause overloading of the socket and could lead to a fiery result.
- Plug / Unplug
The repeated action of plugging and unplugging an appliance could damage the plug. When this happens, the plugs become loose and the gaps inside the plug head could cause sparks that lead to fire.
- Uncertified Appliances
In the era of online shopping, electrical appliances can be purchased at attractive prices and from all over the world. However, most of these appliances are not SIRIM-approved and may not be suited for usage in Malaysia.
Knowing the common causes of electrical fires will help us avoid potentially devastating consequences, so it’s always best to put safety over convenience. However, we do have a convenient and also guaranteed lower premium of up to 30% for your home insurance that protects against fire and also provides optional cover for service and repairs. Click here now for a FREE quote.